Flat roofing systems are the most common roofing systems used for commercial buildings in the United States. They have low initial costs and if well maintained can provide many years of reliable service to the businesses they cover. At Perdomo Roofing & Sheet Metal, LLC we offer the following types of flat roof systems:
- Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO)
- Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene (SBS) Modified Bituminous Membrane Roofing
- Self-Adhering Modified Bituminous Membrane Roofing
- Atactic-Polypropylene (APP) Modified Bituminous Membrane Roofing
These types of roofs are built up which adds to its flexibility and strength. Built up roofing is sometimes simply called the BUR method. Essentially the roof is constructed by taking layers of treated felt and treating them between layers with molten asphalt or tar pitch. The self-adhesive membrane roofing can be applied in as little as one or two layers.
In hot areas like New Orleans, UV protection is an important component in any flat roof system. Modified Bituminous Membrane roofing offers superior resistance to the rays of the sun. The roof is constructed using asphalt and special polymers. Various finishes are available such as gravel or a smooth and reflective coating available in various colors.
Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO)
Short for thermoplastic polyolefin, TPO is a single-ply roofing membrane that offers excellent performance at a cost-effective price. Heat-welded seams provide superior strength. TPO’s long-term heat, UV, and natural fungal resistance, plus flexibility without need for plasticizers also make TPO a reliable low-slope roofing system.
In the 20+ years that TPO has been in the field, it’s become one the most popular products used for low-slope roofing. Over 1 billion square feet are installed annually, making up over 50% of single-ply roofs being installed today. The rapid rise in popularity can be associated with several of TPO’s inherent benefits, including:
• Great Value: Excellent performance at a cost-effective price.
• Excellent Seam Strength: Heat-welded seams provide greater seam strength to taped and other seams.
• Long-term Weathering: Excellent long-term heat and UV resistance.
• Energy Saving: Highly reflective and emissive white surface can help reduce energy costs and urban heat island effect
• Inherently Flexible: No need for plasticizers
• Naturally Fungal Resistant: Doesn’t require biocides.
• Versatile Application Methods: Including high-performance roofs requiring high wind uplift, increased puncture resistance, or quick economical systems.
Flat roofs are a great solution for many applications, but they do need to be maintained more than other roofing systems. They should be visually inspected regularly for any signs of abrasion, cracks, or missing pieces from impacts. It can be harder to spot problems since the roof is for the most part hidden unless someone gets up on it. When flat roofs leak, the damage can be very extensive before anything is noticeable on the inside of the building. However, because all roofs should be routinely evaluated, the benefits of a flat roof for a building far outweigh the potential problems.
It is important when designing and implementing any flat roof systems that you consult with a dedicated and knowledgeable professional. Perdomo Roofing & Sheet Metal, LLC has been installing roofs in the New Orleans and surrounding areas for over a decade. With a BBB rating of “A+,” you can be assured that we will install and/or maintain your flat roof so it is watertight and drains appropriately. We guarantee your 100% satisfaction with the quality of our work.