Your home is typically the largest single investment of your life. So, it’s important to protect this investment very carefully. That starts by maintaining the structure and integrity of your roof. A good, well-maintained roof not only provides much needed protection, but it also increases your home value and energy efficiency…all things that keep money in your pocket. Conversely, a roof that is showing its age and experiencing failure can cost an untold amount in damages. Over time, all roofs will begin to show signs of natural wear and tear. It’s easy to take your roof for granted until you are faced with major problems like water intrusion and rot.
Looking for early signs a roof will need replacing helps minimize repair costs and risks of significant property damage. Properly maintaining your roof will help ensure your home stays in good condition which not only keeps you safe today, but also maximizes potential future resale value.
Here are 7 warning signs it’s time for a new roof:
- Excessive energy costs. Insufficient attic ventilation frequently causes heating/cooling systems to run excessively which causes an increase in your monthly energy costs.
- Dark, “dirty-looking” areas on your roof. The loss of granules due to the age of shingles can cause darker areas on your roof.
- Leakage in your attic after driving rain. Degraded or inadequate shingle underlayment or deteriorated flashing can cause leaks in your attic.
- Missing, cracked, or curling shingles. When shingles reach the end of their useful life, they begin to crack, curl and lift.
- Blistering and/or peeling of outside paint. Excessive moisture or high humidity due to poor attic ventilation can cause paint to blister or peel.
- Stains on interior ceilings and walls or mold and mildew growth. Inadequate or faulty shingle underlayment can allow leakage which results in staining, mold, and mildew.
- Roof shingle, sheathing, & siding decay. Poor attic ventilation leads to decay.
If you notice any of these telltale signs, call us today to schedule a free quote. With a thorough inspection, you will be able to make an informed decision to know if it’s time to repair or replace your roof. 504-885-6652