As a homeowner, your growing list of to-dos around the house may seem daunting at times. Because of that, unfortunately many homeowners wait until there is obvious damage after a storm before even thinking about calling a roofing contractor. This period of high stress can make it a challenge when trying to decide what roofing company to choose. You are aware the damage needs to be fixed quickly but you don’t want to make the wrong decision and choose someone hastily. Deciding who to hire for your roof repair or reroof project comes down to knowing the right questions to ask.
From license and warranty information to materials and estimates, here are 10 important questions to ask roofing contractors that will help you make your final decision.
- Are you licensed and insured? Roofing contractors should have insurance for all employees and subcontractors and be able to provide a copy of their insurance certificate. Roofers in Louisiana are required to have a state license for any building construction work worth more than $75,000 or home improvement or repair work worth more than $7,500. The Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors issues commercial and residential licenses and home improvement registration. Ask for their license number if you don’t already see it prominently displayed on print and online materials.
- How many years have you been in business? This will let you know a little bit about the experience and stability of the company. It’s important to know if you are dealing with a company that just started after a recent storm or one that has been in business for over a decade.
- Are you local? Selecting a local roofer is critical for many reasons. After major storms, traveling roofers swoop in to quickly scoop up jobs before moving on to another city or state, never to be seen again. What happens if that work is faulty? Getting someone from that company to travel back to repair poor workmanship will be impossible and you are left with a mess. A local roofer is someone you can contact to quickly help with emergency repairs, a company you can count on to be in town when you need them.
- Are you accredited with the Better Business Bureau, and can you give me a list of references? You can get a good idea of a company’s credibility by researching their reviews. Check out what other homeowners have reported to the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org. Look online at their Google Reviews and ask for a list of references.
- Will you perform a thorough inspection? Whether you are having routine maintenance or checking for storm damage, your roofing contractor should perform a thorough inspection of the entire roofing system. This includes interior insulation and ventilation, signs of moisture or mold, inspection of deck, shingles, flashing, chimney, soil stacks and other roof penetrations.
- Will you check for adequate ventilation? Checking for adequate ventilation should be part of a thorough inspection but it sometimes gets overlooked by roofers looking to patch and get paid. An experienced roofer knows that you should inspect the roof from inside the attic to determine if the current ventilation system is working properly. Improper ventilation can damage your shingles and invalidate your manufacturer’s warranty.
- What roofing materials will you use on my roof? Not all roofing products are the same and it’s important that your roofer is knowledgeable and experienced with the weather conditions in your area. South Louisiana is known for harsh conditions. The roofing materials chosen must be rated for the area so your investment will last a long time.
- Do you offer warranty and workmanship coverage? Not all contractors can offer manufacturer warranties that include coverage for the contractor’s workmanship. Selecting a roofing contractor that is certified to install and backed by the product they are using is an assurance to you, the homeowner, that your roof will be completed well and by a trained professional. Your roofing contractor should be able to clearly explain your warranty and workmanship coverage in detail. “Yeah, you’re covered” is not the same as providing documentation.
- Will you explain how my roofing system works? Your roofer should be able to offer a thorough explanation of your entire roofing system and how all the parts work together. Experienced and reputable roofers enjoy educating homeowners, so their clients feel empowered to make informed decisions.
- Will you provide me with a written estimate? A brief two sentence “estimate” with little to no detail is not an estimate that evokes trust. Your roofing contractor should provide you with a detailed written estimate that includes an accurate description of the work to be performed as well as any work that may have to be contracted out.
Perdomo Roofing & Sheet Metal has been your neighborhood roofer since 2004. We believe it’s important for people to have all the facts and information so they can make informed decisions. Download or print this checklist to keep on hand when talking to potential roofing contractors. There are a lot of roofers out there so asking these questions will help you narrow down your selection so you can hire the best roofer for your home. Your roof is a major investment in the value and integrity of your home and as such, it’s important to choose the best product and most experienced professionals to get the job done. We feel confident you will choose Perdomo Roofing & Sheet Metal!
Call us today to schedule an appointment. (504) 885-6652